Updated Bivalent COVID Booster Vaccines Now Available
The FDA and now CDC have approved updated guidance for COVID booster vaccines. Affinia Healthcare has received the new Pfizer COVID Vaccine Bivalent Boosters. We anticipate having the boosters available for patients in late September, early October 2022.
• The bivalent boosters protect against the original COVID-19 strain and the Omicron variant (BA.4 and BA.5)
• Available for individuals 12 years and up
• Must have completed a first series with the original type
• Can administer at least two months after the first series of any other COVID booster
• Original COVID vaccines for first series will no longer to be used for booster doses
• New booster is approved to co-administer with other vaccines including the influenza (flu) vaccine
An important note:
The monovalent mRNA COVID-19 vaccines are NO LONGER authorized for use as boosters in people ages 12 years and older.
According to the FDA:
The previous monovalent mRNA COVID-19 vaccines are not authorized as booster doses for individuals 12 years of age and older.
Appointments for monovalent Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna boosters in people 12 years of age and older must be rescheduled for when locations have the bivalent COVID-19 vaccines available. Affinia Healthcare anticipates having the updated bivalent within the next few weeks.